December 4, 2011

One thing not many people know about you.

So I'm getting to know someone and we play this cool little game called "Truth or Truth". It usually starts out like this:

Her: "Truth or truth?"
Me: "Hmmm tough one. I'll choose Truth."

Then last night she asked something of me that was difficult to answer. This is what she wrote.

"Tell me one thing not many people know about you."

I honestly had to think about an answer for almost a full hour before I could give one. I'm usually pretty open with people when it comes to getting to know others. I don't have a lot of reservations when it comes to asking questions. I think that started almost two years ago.

I was in the city of Guatemala, about three weeks into my mission for the church I belong to, and I was put with a what was then a complete stranger for a companion (but now who is a really great friend). We sat down to start getting to know each other, and he said, "You know man, I live by the Latin saying, "Quid pro quo" which means, "what for what". Or how he put it, "I will let you know what I think, and I want to know what you think."

I also think it started because the people in Guatemala are so loving and caring. That is something I wish as Americans we were better at. Don't get me wrong, we are very charitable and kind to most people; but we don't forgive very quickly. The Latin American countries are just different. It's like they can feel if you like them or not. And being around them for so long, it's weird because it's almost like I have developed that "sense" as well. Some could just call it being over sensitive, but I honestly think it is a feeling that you have.

So back to my original story.... (rambling) I sat there for an hour thinking about what I could tell this wonderful girl. Eventually I told her something, but I woke up this morning realizing that probably wasn't the best thing to tell her.. It wasn't bad at all, but it was just the whole "Why did you put that? That's not really like you...." thing. Don't you hate how sometimes you wish you could take back time?

I sent another message to her today, realizing that I should have put something that was more like me. So I did. It felt right to tell her what I did. And I'm glad that I finally found something that not a lot of people know about me. It helped me define just a little more of who I am and what I am doing here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment