February 23, 2014

"...Fathers are to preside... in love and righteousness..." ~ The Family: A Proclamation to the World

I'm sitting here next to my beautiful wife and my tiny son, and I was just reflecting on what it is like to be a father. If you are one, you have probably thought about what I have, and you will most likely know what I am talking about. For those that aren't fathers, let me explain. 

When I married my wife I was sure that I knew what love was. I wanted her to be happy, taken care of, and safe. I feel of her love everyday, and I am so grateful to have such a companion in my life. 

But when my son was born, that is when I truly started to know love. This little one cannot express his feelings. He cannot say, "I love you" (yet). He cannot explain why he is crying. He can simply cry. This can be a little frustrating at times, simply because I don't know the answer until after trying the usual things (patting his back to burp him, checking his diaper, helping my wife feed him, or just rocking him to sleep). There have been some times that when my wife and I are trying to calm him down we say, "We/I can't wait until you can talk, then you can tell us exactly what's wrong". 

Being a dad has also helped put my relationship with Heavenly Father into a greater perspective. Since I was small I would always sing a song titled I Am a Child of God. I always knew that I was a Child of God (literally) but I never really thought about what it was like to be a Father to so many spiritual children. 

There have been times where when my son is crying that I think, "How many times have I just cried and prayed to Heavenly Father for help? And how many times has he come to my aid and helped me get through my trial?"

When my son is sick. "How many times have I been physically ill and thought I wasn't going to be comfortable again? How many times has Heavenly Father sent someone to give me a Priesthood blessing? Or sent me to the correct doctor for a solution?"

When my son is happy. "How many times have I been happy and just given thanks to Heavenly Father? For all that He gives me?"

These are just a few of the lessons that I have learned from being a dad. I know that I am going to learn so much more like:

  • Is this what Heavenly Father feels like when His children blame him for something that went wrong?
  • How can I help my child choose the right? (Notice the help part. He will never force us to make a decision)
  • How can I help my son live up to his potential that I see in him?
  • How can I lead my family in righteousness?
Along with so many other questions. How many times have we truly reflected on our relationship with our Heavenly Father?

Now, a word to those who are searching for a relationship or a stronger relationship with Heavenly Father or Almighty God:

There is nothing wrong with you. So many times when we feel like our relationship with Him is lacking it is because we might not be living the best that we can (please don't stop reading). I mention this only because I know that He is constantly reaching out to us. It is us that (figuratively) put him on hold. What ever your "hold-line" is, you can always pick up the phone and continue the connection again. 

But there are two "voices" that will come when we think about re-connecting. One will be Satan. He will tell you a couple of things, "You don't need him, you've thought through everything already"; "He doesn't want to talk to you"; "You aren't clean enough to talk to him"; "You can talk all you want but He won't be listening". These are all lies!

The other "voice" will be the Holy Ghost, encouraging you the whole time to continue to pray. He will provide comfort, relief, peace, or any other feeling that you have been lacking in. It is a little different to talk out loud when you might not see someone there, but I know that there have been so many times in my life that I am so grateful I said a prayer. I'm grateful that I was able to communicate my true feelings to my Father. 

I know that we are all Children of God, every single person. I know that He listens and guides us. I also know that no matter how imperfect we are in this life, that if we repent (truly repent) and keep His commandments, we will be able to live with Him once more. How wonderful will it be to get a hug from Our Father? Our Perfect Father. 


No comments:

Post a Comment